Q: It is stated that International Students can't apply for USRA, but then it is also stated that International students can simply check the "Canadian" box on form 202. Could you please clarify?

A: International students are not eligible for USRA. However, International students can apply for LURA. We use the NSERC forms for both LURA and USRA applications, so International students who apply for LURA need to check the box "Canadian" in form 202. The forms will only be used internally at Lassonde and will not be forwarded to NSERC.


Q: I was wondering what constraints do I have when finding a supervisor? Does my supervisor have to be directly related to my program of study? 

A: Any Lassonde professor can be your supervisor, but it is up to each professor to decide which student he/she wishes to support.


Q: Are the information sessions mandatory? Do I need to sign up in advance?

A: The information sessions are NOT mandatory, but we encourage applicants to attend. There is no need to sign up in advance.


Q: The professor I wish to work with can only pay for one student, but he has two applicants. Can both applicants submit an application?

A: No, the professor can only support as many applicants as he/she can financially support. He/she will have to pick which student he/she wants to support.


Q: I will be graduating this spring, can I still apply?

A: Yes!


Q: Do you have a list of professors with NSERC funding?

A: No, I don't have a list. My advice is to contact researchers whose work you find interesting and ask them whether or not they are eligible to host a USRA student. If you really want to find out who is eligible beforehand, there is a tool called the NSERC awards database: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/ase-oro/index_eng.asp. Click "advanced search" to pick the correct programs: Discovery Grants Program - Individual; Collaborative Research and Training Experience; Strategic Projects - Group


Q: I just filled out the Form 202 on NSERC website. The last part of the Form 202 requires the official transcript. I went to the information section today, and I remember you mentioned that we do not need to upload transcripts at this point. Should I just click the “preview” button to get the PDF?

A: Yes, just click "preview" to get the PDF.


Q: I wanted to know if there is a specific format that students have to follow while writing their research interest statement.

A: There is no specific format required. Things to include: past experience (lab or course-related), skills you bring to the project, why you are interested in the project or with the professor, alignment between you and the project, what you hope to gain, your future plans. TIPS: do NOT regurgitate your CV, do NOT use colloquial or conversational language, check spelling and grammar.


Q: Who uploads form 202 part II to the FluidReview site?

A: The applicant (student) uploads this form on the FluidReview site. (The hosting professor needs to fill out the form, generate a PDF, and e-mail it to the student).


Q: If I receive and NSERC USRA award, can I defer it to next year?

A: No


Q: I don't have any experience - how will I ever get LURA or USRA award?


A: Apply anyway - remember that only 30% of your evaluation is based on research potential. If you are not successful, investigate the RAY program or The Association for Research Placement at York (ARPY) see if you can find other ways to gain experience.


Q: I missed the info sessions. Can I get the information any other way?

A: The slide deck is here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/577e6c20725e25fb8efef0f0/t/5a6b5efc71c10b780a04ea9e/1516986108829/USRA-LURA+2018+Presentation.pdf


Q: On the process overview page it says that each student can only apply to ONE position. I wanted to clarify whether it is means that I can send applications to multiple positions, but only accept one offer, or that I can only send an application to one position. I'm asking this because on the timeline page one of the points says that we should start contacting supervisors (in plural).

A: You can contact several professors, but in the end you can only submit ONE award application through Fluidreview.


Q: My Professor is wondering which is his" NSERC active grant application number"

A: The Grant Application Number refers to the grant number of the letter from NSERC that the faculty member receives when they are notified that their grant is successful (NOT their budget #). The number is not needed for LURA applications.


Q: I am a Third Year Biophysics major here at YorkU and I was wondering whether or not I should be requesting a transcript from the Physics department when applying for an NSERC position at Lassonde?


A: York students do NOT need to submit transcripts with their applications.

Q: What is the exact time on February 27th that the applications are due?

A: You can submit until midnight.


Q: I am applying for the undergraduate research award, and I have a few questions about one of the application questions. Regarding the question bellow, does the option “Both LURA and USRA” mean I must get accepted to both to achieve the award? Or can I be accepted to one of the two and still receive an award?

A: Select the award that you are eligible for and that your professor can support (it depends on their funding situation). If you can select both it means that you will be considered for both. Top students receive USRA and students who rank highly but did not get a USRA will be considered for LURA.


Q: Can first-year students apply?

A: Yes, but you need to have at least 18 credits when you take up the award in May.


Q: The rules state that I can only take 3 course credits during the tenure of the award. There are two terms: S1 and S2 during this time. Can I take 3 credits in each term?

A: If you hold a USRA award then the answer is no. However, if you hold a LURA award you may be able to get an exception to the rule. The hosting professor needs to agree to it and then you need to submit a form to the Dean's Office. We will distribute more information about that logistics closer to May.


Q: I have a previous degree from another university. Do I need to submit that transcript?

A: It is optional.


Q: Can I apply for OSAP while holding the award?

A: You will NOT be getting credits for the time spent doing research, so your work itself won't qualify for OSAP. If you are taking courses you can consult this page to see if you qualify: http://osap.yorku.ca/calculating-course-load-summer-session


Q: On the Fluidreview page it is written that I need a teaching statement and three references. Do I?

A: No, please ignore those instructions. The FluidReview system is designed for applications for Faculty positions and that is what those instructions are for. However, we are using the system to funnel the applications to the right department.


Q: My supervisor doesn't think that we need Forms 202 when I only apply to LURA? Is that right?

A: No, both USRA and LURA applicants need to fill out form 202 part I. And the prospective supervisor needs to fill out Form 202 part II.


Q: A professor has told me that he would take me on. Does that mean that I got the position? Why do I need to apply for this award?

A: The professor mean that he/she would support your application for the award. You need to win the award in order to get paid. The award you will receive over the summer is a combination of funds from NSERC (for USRA), Lassonde, and the professor. For LURA students the money come from Lassonde and the professor. This is why you need to compete.


Q: So, if Lassonde gives me a USRA award, do I still need to compete again at the NSERC level? I was told that USRA awardees have to submit transcripts on the NSERC portal...

A: No. Lassonde has been given 16 USRA spots for this summer. We are running this competition to find the best students to fill those 16 spots. Students who are offered a USRA after the competition will receive the award from NSERC. However, NSERC will need to have your transcript to show how they spent the money.


Q: I am a permanent resident of Canada and am an undergraduate student at the University of Toronto, however, I am not a Canadian citizen. I wanted to inquire and clarify whether I am considered an international or domestic student when applying for LURA. 

A: You are considered a domestic student.


Q: I am currently filling out my Form 202 part 1 for Lassonde Undergraduate Research. I had gotten LURA last summer and I had to complete the same form. I noticed that since I didn't submit the form last year, I am unable to create a brand new form. I was wondering if this was fine? 

A: That is fine, just update the form from last year.


Q: Additionally, there is a question on the form which is, "Have you ever held a USRA or Experience Award (previously IUSRA) in the past?" I don't know if LURA is equivalent to USRA in terms of this question so should I say yes or no? 

A: The answer is "no" - NSERC wants to know whether you have received money from them in the past.


Q: I've applied to many job postings outside and received a few interviews, it would help a lot if i knew when is the last day to accept an offer after a student receives an offer (LURA)?

A: You will be notified about the success of your application at the end of March (April 1 the latest). Students will need to accept or decline their offers within two weeks of that notice.


Q: before submitting my application through FluidReview, I should get form (202 ||) from the professor and then send it. Can I submit more than one form (202 ||)? since I'm applying for many professors.
Also, Will they get back to me as soon as they can since I'm running out of time before submitting my application through FuidReview?

A: You may only submit one application (ie only one form 202 part II) on FlulidReview. Before submitting an application a professor needs to tell you that they are willing to support your application.


Q: What is the curricula vitae?

A: It is your CV. Same thing as a resume.


Q: I know for the student NSERC form ( Form 202 part 1) I do not need to actually submit the form to NSERC. The form is only needed only for the template.

Is it the same case for form 202 part 2 ( to be completed by my instructor). Will my instructor need to submit the form to NSERC or simply fill out the form and send it to me for submission?

A: Same for form 202 part II - the professor only needs to generate a PDF at this point and send to you.


Q:  I'm creating my application for the Undergraduate Research Program on the Lassonde Fluidreview website. I selected Electrical Engineering and Computer Science as my program but when I view the contact details I input, it says my application is for Mechanical Engineering. I even deleted my application and created a new one and I still have the same issue. I'm wondering if this will be an issue.

A: What you are describing is a technical glitch. We are aware about it, but unable to fix it. It won't affect your application evaluation.


Q: I applied to the Lassonde summer undergraduate research program and I was wondering around what time should I be expecting to hear back from you?

A: By April 1, the latest.