Position Type: NSERC USRA
Position Title: Research Assistant/summer researcher
Location: BRG 4th Floor
Professor: Siu Ning (Sunny) Leung
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Contact for Professor (Email, phone): firstname.lastname@example.org
# of positions available: 1
This research project will focus on the development of a new fabrication strategy to manufacture a new family of multifunctional materials that can be used in flexible and wearable electronics. Wearable electronics are electronic devices that can be worn by a person either internally (e.g., implants) or externally (e.g., sensory accessories). Recently, great attention has been devoted to developing flexible and wearable electronics due to the emergence of next-generation portable electronic devices, such as portable displays, sensory skins for robotics, and wearable communication devices.
The fabrication strategy to be developed aims to tailor the micro-and-nanostructures of the multifunctional materials, and thereby to promote and suppress specific multifunctional properties (e.g., electrical conductivity, thermal conductivities, surface texture, …etc.). Some examples include flexible materials with (i) high thermal conductivity but low electrical conductivity for heat management in electronics; (ii) low thermal conductivity but high electrical conductivity for thermoelectric energy harvesters; and (iii) high electrical conductivity and superior piezoresistive properties for energy harvesters and/or smart textiles.
Students participating in this project will gain hands-on experience in a wide range of state-of-the-art and industrial viable material processing and characterization technologies. These include compounding, molding, supercritical CO2 foaming, differential scanning calorimetry, scanning electronic microscopy, …etc.
Duties and Responsibilities of the student:
1. Conduct literature survey to identify recent progress in the specific research areas;
2. Design and implement new experimental apparatus for material processing and/or characterization;
3. Preparation of new multifunctional material sample for testing;
4. Characterize multifunctional properties of fabricated specimens;
5. Analyze and interpret experimental data and potentially develop new hypotheses;
6. Assist in preparation of one conference or journal paper.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in SolidWorks;
- Basic knowledge in undergraduate level heat and flow;
- Good technical writing skills
- Positive attitude and highly motivated;
- Desire to be both a leader and a team member;
- Willingness to learn new technology
- Experience in computer graphics;
- Experience in 3D printing and machining
- Knowledge and experience in 3D printing are assets
Degrees, courses and Disciplines prerequisite*: 2nd Year or above engineering students
Willing to host external students? Yes (ask for more details)
Duration: 16 weeks minimum
Start Date: 05/01/2018 (estimated)
End Date: 08/31/2018 (estimated)
If you are interested in this research project, please contact Siu Ning (Sunny) Leung at email@example.com.